Common Technical Problems in Online Exams
Common Technical Problems in Online Exams
Instructors can access the system records of their courses. In case of a problem, it is recommended that the system records be checked by the instructors first. IP addresses of students are also included in the system registrations in ODTÜClass. IP location and / or Internet provider information can be accessed using web services that determine location from IP. However, it should be kept in mind that this information is not 100% correct.
It is recommended to conduct a mock test with students before the exam practice and to ensure that students experience the conditions they will encounter in the real exam in advance. In this way, it can be possible to identify situations that may arise during the exam and to take measures.
If a large number of students take the exam at the same time in ODTUClass, a bottleneck may occur. In order to prevent this situation, the exams of the courses with more than 500 students are taken to the exam servers. If the number of students who will take the exam at the same time is more than 500, it is important to inform the ODTUClass Support Team at least one week before the exam.
Our academic units and lecturers can receive support from the unit distance education coordinators, the Distance Education Center and the Information Technology Center in solving possible problems. Possible problems and solution suggestions are listed below.
1. Disconnection from the internet: When the internet connection is re-established and the student logs into ODTÜClass, it is seen that the student logs into the system in the system records (logs) in ODTÜClass. However, it is not possible to determine exactly what the cause of this situation is. Before the end of the exam, the student can reconnect and continue the quiz activity from where it left off. With the User Override option in the Quiz administration block, a special time arrangement can be made for the student and additional time can be given or a make-up exam can be done.
2. Computer etc. device shutdown or Restart: When the device is turned on again and the student logs into ODTÜClass, it is seen that the student logs into the system in the system records (logs) in ODTÜClass. However, it is not possible to determine exactly what the cause of this situation is. Before the end of the exam, the student can log in again and continue the quiz activity from where it left off. With the User Override option in the Quiz administration block, the student can be given additional time or make-up exams.
3. Power outage: When the student re-enters ODTÜClass, it is seen in the system records (logs) in ODTÜClass that the student logs into the system. However, it is not possible to determine exactly what the cause of this situation is. Announcements of electricity distribution companies regarding power outages can be checked. Before the end of the exam, the student can log in again and continue the quiz activity from where it left off. With the User Override option in the Quiz administration block, the student can be given additional time or make-up exams.
4. If browsing between exam questions is restricted (with the Navigation: Sequential option in the Quiz settings), students try to navigate between the questions with the browser's forward and back buttons: When the browser's forward and back buttons are used, students' time counters may also be displayed incorrectly, which causes students to be mistaken. In addition, it may occur that the buttons required to switch between questions are not visible. Students should be warned not to use the browser's forward and backward buttons.
5. If "block concurrent connections" option is activated while preparing the quiz activity, trying to reconnect to the exam from a different browser: "Block concurrent connections" option prevents students from accessing the exam with another browser after starting the exam. If the students accidentally close the browser window or the browser is closed due to the first 3 problems, the students must be given permission by the instructors to continue the exam. Relevant steps can be found on ODTÜClass FAQ page If this option is to be used, it is important to inform students before the exam. If they need to change the browser for a valid reason, they should be reminded that they should reach the instructor and report the situation without wasting time.
6. Failure to upload the file due to not enough time for the assignment activity or "Essay" type exam questions: Depending on the file size, internet connection speed and instant usage volume of ODTÜClass, it is necessary to wait for a while for the files to be uploaded. Taking this time into consideration, the duration of the quiz or assignment can be determined and the students can be reminded that the time required to upload the files should also be taken into account. ODTUClass first puts the files in the draft folder, then associates them with the assignment or question. In some cases, students' files can be found in the draft folder. Upon the request of the instructors, ODTÜClass Support Team can check the draft folder and forward it to the instructor if there is a file.
8. Using large-sized images in exam questions: Depending on the size of the image files and the internet connection speed of the students, the viewing of the questions can take a long time, and it can cause students to lose time because the time taken for uploading decreases from the exam time. For this reason, it is important to prepare the contents that can be prepared as text or with the formula editor in the exam questions in ODTÜClass. It is recommended that the content that should be given only visually should be uploaded as images and the uploaded images should be in the lowest possible size.